NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world's largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
Reporting to the Director of Regional Affairs, this role provides holistic support to NAFSA's 11 regions. The Program Manager's role supports the work of the regions, including communication, logistics, and administrative support for event and activity planning for all regional activities – most notably the 11 annual conferences led by the regional teams. The Program Manager will provide robust customer service daily on behalf of Regional Affairs, engaging daily with the volunteers and program participants to ensure high-level support and guidance.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Provide high-touch support and training to regional leaders throughout the year. (30%)
- Revise important training materials for volunteer leaders at various gatherings throughout the year to support successful Regional Conferences, as well as professional development and other engagements at the regional level.
- Provide technical support to regional leaders utilizing NAFSA systems for regional conferences, including registration, content management, and expo sales. Maintain and update training materials for regional leaders on these key topics and liaise with Technology Solutions team.
- Provide support, training, and guidance to model 1 regional state and local districts for their meetings and activities throughout the year, including event setup and registration technology. Liaise with workshop colleagues to ensure onsite workshops are incorporated if requested by state/district coordinator.
- Liaise with regional leaders, the technology team, and web marketing to ensure regional leaders have training and support to maintain regional content on the CMS platform, and to set up regional elections using NAFSA's voting system.
- Manage all iMIS and roster updates needed for regional volunteer leaders, including updates in NAFSA systems, as well as end of year certificates and recognition.
Serve as customer service and administrative support for Regional Affairs. (30%)
- Serve as first line of communication for team email inbox and phone for region-related inquiries received by NAFSA.
- Provide robust customer service support for regional leaders and conference participants, demonstrating sound judgement to resolve issues when possible and escalate to other staff if necessary.
- Support simple and complex regional and state/district event registration needs, including backend registration, payment by check, group registration, etc. by working closing with Technology Solutions, Accounting, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee and implement website updates for NAFSA's regions-related website pages, training and supporting regional volunteers as needed.
- Serve as back-up support for department-related activities, especially administrative support for NAFSA's National Election process.
Serve as lead for resource dissemination and communication for regional executive teams, cohorts, and all regional volunteer leaders. (25%)
- Provide high touch customer service via phone, email, and other virtual platforms for regional volunteers, external stakeholders, and the public.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director, serve as the key staff member responsible for updating the online master calendar of deliverables for annual regional conferences.
- Update relevant information and discussions on Network NAFSA pages, including the Regional Collaboration Forum.
- Serve on the NAFSA-wide Network NAFSA working group and report out on challenges and successes. Monitor the networks to ensure adherence to the Code of Conduct.
- Maintain close working relationships with key internal NAFSA colleagues to ensure NAFSA-wide deadlines and priorities are shared with regional leaders and their teams.
- Assist in the promotion/marketing of regional conferences and other regional events as needed with the Marketing and Membership team.
Ensure and report on regional compliance with association policies and initiatives. (10%)
- In close consultation and collaboration with the Accounting team and the Associate Director, ensure adequate insurance waivers are obtained for certain regional events and activities.
- Conduct research to ensure regional conference fundraising initiatives fall within the scope of local laws annually.
- At the direction of the Associate Director and internal stakeholders, communicate NAFSA policies and compliance protocols for meeting data privacy, ADA and other compliance requirements to regional leadership.
- Ensure regional leaders get annual training on data privacy, insurance compliance, NAFSA financial systems, ADA, etc.
- Support the Director and Associate Director, as needed, with regional conference hotel site selection and contracting that minimizes overlap in booking.
Assist with other projects and duties, as assigned. (5%)
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two years of work experience in an office or similar professional environment
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to critically think about requests and support within the context and knowledge of the program
- Ability to problem solve and support volunteers in the field with diplomacy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to work across departments and work styles with ease
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise judgment with competing and multiple deadlines
- Experience with iMIS or similar database software
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems, including conferencing platforms
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products, especially Excel
- Experience working with volunteers
- Exposure to or experience in international education or related field, or desired growth and career path in international education
- Previous experience with membership associations or nonprofit organizations
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel and weekend work is required occasionally. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.
Total Compensation and Benefits
The hiring range for this full-time, 35-hour per week Program Manager, Regional Affairs position begins at $55,000.
Total compensation for employment at NAFSA entails a competitive employee benefits package including:
- Competitively priced medical and dental insurance plans with CareFirst and MetLife
- 403(b) retirement plan with eligibility for 5% employer contribution
- Generous paid vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave plans
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Fully paid group life and disability insurance coverage
- Health and dependent care flexible spending account plans
- Pre-tax parking and transportation plans
- Opportunities for professional development and partial tuition reimbursement
- Free onsite fitness center and secure bicycle parking
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.
KEY WORDS: Program Manager, Regional Affairs, Annual Conference, Administrative Support, Logistics, Conference and Meetings, Association, Expo