ASAM is a medical professional society representing more than 7000 members with 50+ staff and a $11M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multifaceted opportunities in addiction medicine.
This position will
• Create a vision for next-generation growth and innovation of ASAM’s educational portfolio, addressing the medical education process from medical school to retirement.
• Develop strategic relationships with key stakeholders such as AAMC, AACOM, ACGME, AOA, ABMS, NBPAS, ACCME based on understanding dynamics of medical school, residency, fellowship, board certification, state licensing, maintenance of certification, continuation of certification
• Add new frontiers in business development through market and industry research, professional networking, identifying and evaluating game-changing potential partnerships, thus complementing ASAM’s current capabilities in proposals, grants and procurement
Responsible for a staff team of 20 to 30 (including 2 to 4 direct reports), this position will complement and mentor experienced senior staff, scientists, and physicians, including doctorate level experts and high performers. To do so, the incumbent will have:
• Understanding and appreciation of adult education, instructional design, scientific development, clinical quality, public health, healthcare policy
• Understanding and appreciation of information technology, especially learning management systems and association management systems • Experience developing relationships and new opportunities with state/local health entities, health plans and industry
• Experience tracking science and technology (including new therapeutics and diagnostics) from development to full-scale adoption
• Ensure attainment of approximately 50% of ASAM’s $11M annual revenue
• Drive new revenue growth as science and technology advance, new therapeutics emerge, and policies evolve
• Champion inclusive and equitable learning experiences
• Develop and mentor staff who plan and implement ASAM’s educational portfolio of programs and services
• Develop productive relationships with Board and Council members
Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent strategic thinking, business case and business development skills
• Excellent reading and analytic skills, including ability to read, understand and analyze complex topics, policy statements and disparate data sources
• Excellent formal writing skills, including ability to analyze and summarize complex topics and policies related to medical school, medical specialty training, board certification, state licensure, credentialing, and health plans
• Demonstrated ability to understand and become fluent in scientific and clinical topics Characteristics:
We are searching for a leader who
• Is self-aware, reflective, thoughtful, open to new ideas, and willing to admit when they are wrong
• Learns quickly, thinks on their feet and is intellectually curious
• Delegates effectively and reserves micromanagement for rare, urgent circumstances
• Contributes meaningfully to discussions while encouraging others to participate
• Thrives in ambiguity, enjoys navigating different opinions and perspectives
• Possesses a sense of humor and uses it appropriately
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience required
• Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience required
• Experience managing staff remotely, in-person, and hybrid required
• Experience with medical societies, medical boards, state health entities or organized medicine required
• Experience managing sales pipeline and process required
• Track record of business development, closing deals and revenue generation required
• Work from home mostly, with one day a week working from Rockville, MD office, as local public health conditions permit
• Approximately 5% travel
Benefits of Working at ASAM:
• ASAM’s work with physicians and clinicians helps millions of patients, families, and communities impacted by addiction
• ASAM’s work helps address the vast national crisis of addiction and overdose
• ASAM enjoys a healthy organizational culture, living by values determined by staff: open collaboration, trust, courage, and connectedness
ASAM is proud to have earned the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility • ASAM offers competitive compensation (commensurate with experience) and benefits that include paid vacation and sick leave, transportation reimbursement, medical insurance, and 401k.
Recruiting salary range:
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your interest in the position and how your skills match the position.
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the Maryland.
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) is a medical professional society of over 6,000 members with 50+ staff and a $10M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multi-faceted opportunities in the area of addiction medicine.