The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 175 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise, and knowledge that each one brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for three years in a row.
The Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, and a related organization of the American Society of Anesthesiologists®. For over 30 years, FAER has been dedicated to developing the next generation of physician-scientists in anesthesiology. Charitable contributions and support to FAER help fuel the future of anesthesiology through scientific discovery. Funding priorities include: Research, Education, and Training.
The Executive Director of FAER is a key member of the senior leadership team, including the President and Directors, which provides the strategic and operational planning required for FAER to accomplish its mission. The Executive Director manages and coordinates the activities of FAER’s office operations through leadership and direction. The Executive Director reports to the FAER Board of Directors
Primary Position Responsibilities:
· Financial and business planning and oversight:
o Under the guidance and direction of the President and the Chair of the FAER Board, initiates and develops the annual budget and actively participates in entire FAER budget process.
o Assures cost-effectiveness of the work unit (ensures staffing matches workload, develops, and manages applicable productivity measurements, reviews, and verifies monthly financial/staffing statements) for areas of responsibility.
o Provides direct staff support for the FAER Finance Committee and Treasurer.
o Primary FAER contact person with ASA Finance Department to address regulatory and reporting compliance issues regarding the FAER audit process, disbursements, and documentation.
o Monitors and reports income and expense activities to ascertain and control budgets and bank and investment accounts relative to expectations and necessary transactions.
o Reconciles ASA ledgers of FAER financial activities.
o Obtains appropriate consultation to ensure legal compliance as a 501(c)(3) organization.
o Periodically forecasts FAER financial performance to budget based on YTD activity and thoughtful estimation of future revenues and expenses.
· Manages staff to support the goals of FAER. This includes general management of staff, annual performance reviews, and one-on-one coaching/mentoring. Responsible for the quality, workload, and performance of team members while executing own job responsibilities.
· Provides supervision and direction on FAER’s grants, programs, development, communications, and other activities. This includes the work of strategic task forces.
· Works closely with the Board Chair, Board Members, and others to articulate and prioritize goals and projects. Maintains major donor portfolio.
· Provides direct staff support to the FAER Board of Directors and Officers, including the Executive Committee. Manages the Biannual FAER Board of Directors meetings, including developing agenda, ensuring committee reports are complete, and overseeing follow-up on action items.
· Functions as the FAER Project Manager by leading projects, including defining project plan (specify goals, constraints, strategy, staffing, scheduling, risks, contingency plans, and resource allocation), ensuring milestones are met, and successfully implementing project to production. Functions as the FAER Business Analyst by providing requirements for projects, documents business and system processes, and conducts quality assurance (QA) activities.
· Manages planning and execution of FAER activities at the ANESTHESIOLOGY annual meeting and other ASA events in collaboration with staff.
· ASA relationship manager. Maintains communications and works collaboratively with ASA CEO or their designee and other ASA senior team members to facilitate mutual goals. Oversees managed services arrangements with ASA, including Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, and Publications.
· Manages contract development to ensure accuracy in terms of agreement, transparency in reporting, compliance with regulatory guidelines, and subsequent reconciliation and reporting where required. Initiates engaging outside expertise for review, as necessary.
· Regularly meets with FAER Board Chair and President to discuss strategic direction of FAER and align current and future resources to meet those goals.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or equivalent, Master's degree preferred. Post-degree training in business, computers, and/or finance a plus.
· Minimum 10 years of experience with program development, communication, and strategic planning. Prior experience directing a society related research foundation is a plus.
· Minimum 5 years of Senior Managerial or Executive Director experience.
· Previous experience working with a Board of Directors is a plus.
· Ability to develop staff and build high performing teams.
· Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills; ability to work effectively as a member of a management team. Must relate effectively with students, residents, faculty, and administration in a national capacity.
· Strong technical acumen and ability to learn new technologies quickly is required.
· Ability to explain policies and procedures and establish effective working relationships required.
· Ability to think innovatively and apply in practice.
· Ability to analyze data, communicate with stakeholders, and develop recommendations for solving problems while exhibiting realistic understanding of issues.
· Ability to recommend professional best practices for non-profits and associations.
Internal Number: 01
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists® (ASA) is a medical association which serves a growing membership of more than 52,000 physician anesthesiologists, medical students and care team members. At ASA, we strive to be the best medical society in the world by offering superior educational opportunities and resources.
With more than 170 employees, the collaborative nature of our organization encourages us to appreciate each contribution, unique expertise and the vast knowledge that every individual brings to the table. We’re dedicated to our members because they’re dedicated to their patients, and we strive to create an outstanding experience to help them succeed in their practice. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily to-do list—we set high expectations, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Our desire to keep improving is the proverbial wind beneath our wings; we seek feedback, pursue knowledge and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
As a testament to these values, we were named one of Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in 2017. To continue strengthening the organization, we’re seeking i...ndividuals who are talented, knowledgeable, motivated and agile. If these qualities resonate with you, you may be the perfect addition to our growing staff!