The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association which serves a growing membership of more than 53,000 physician anesthesiologists, medical students and care team members. At ASA, we strive to be the best medical society in the world by offering superior educational opportunities and resources. Colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of our members and strive to implement and enhance policies that benefit physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. At ASA we’re collaborative, dedicated to our members, committed to excellence and continuously improving. As a testament to these values we were named one of Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in 2018 and 2017, and a winner of the 2018 and 2017 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. To further strengthen the organization, we’re seeking individuals who are talented, knowledgeable, motivated and agile. If these qualities resonate with you, you may be the perfect addition to our growing staff!
The Regulatory Affairs Specialist will serve as a key member of the Quality and Regulatory Affairs team. Reporting to the Director of Quality and Regulatory Affairs, this individual will:
Serve as a lead for ASA members regarding issues related to hospital accreditation, regulatory affairs and compliance.
Serve as a resource for ASA members regarding federal rules and regulations that impact anesthesiologists, including the Quality Payment Program.
Develop and support relationships between ASA and federal regulatory bodies.
Provide analytical support to the Director of Quality and Regulatory Affairs.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
· Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of federal Conditions of Participation, monitor changes in federal regulation impacting anesthesiology department administration, ASA members and the field of anesthesiology.
· Support internal committees and ASA physician leaders and their initiatives and engagement with accrediting agencies (i.e., The Joint Commission, DNV-GL, AAAHC, AAAASF, CIHQ, and HFAP).
· Provide analysis and offer policy direction on federal proposed rules including, but not limited to, those promulgated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
· Prepare comment letters for submission to regulatory agencies and organizations by engaging relevant physician committees, physician leaders and ASA staff on policy positions. Proactively prepare briefing materials for ASA senior staff and physicians on such rules.
· Provide regulatory expertise and participate in coalition building for the Anesthesia Quality Institute to ensure federal regulations governing clinical data registries and Certified EHR Technology (CEHRT) reflect the needs of anesthesiologists.
· Collaborate across quality, payment and advocacy divisions to ensure cohesive policy design and execution related to the Quality Payment Program and other regulations as needed.
· Triage requests and provide excellent customer service with timely, accurate, and courteous responses to members, committees, stakeholders and ASA staff. Proactively research and respond to requests, questions, and comments on regulatory issues from ASA members, committees and external stakeholders.
· Collaborate with Director of Quality and Regulatory Affairs on department priorities, projects and planning.
· Bachelor’s degree required. J.D., or Master’s degree in health administration, history, political science, public health, or related field preferred.
· Minimum 3 years of experience with federal regulation, accreditation standards (TJC, HFAP, CIHQ, AAAHC, AAAASF, and DNV-GL) or Federal reporting programs.
· Experience in a large membership and/or professional organization preferred.
· Knowledge and understanding of hospital accreditation standards and CMS regulatory policies.
· Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals, including physician members and internal and external stakeholders.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists® (ASA) is a medical association which serves a growing membership of more than 52,000 physician anesthesiologists, medical students and care team members. At ASA, we strive to be the best medical society in the world by offering superior educational opportunities and resources.
With more than 170 employees in Schaumburg, Illinois and Washington D.C., the collaborative nature of our organization encourages us to appreciate each contribution, unique expertise and the vast knowledge that every individual brings to the table. We’re dedicated to our members because they’re dedicated to their patients, and we strive to create an outstanding experience to help them succeed in their practice. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily to-do list—we set high expectations, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Our desire to keep improving is the proverbial wind beneath our wings; we seek feedback, pursue knowledge and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
As a testament to these values we were named one of Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in 2018 and 2017, and a ...winner of the 2017 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. Colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of our members and strive to implement and enhance policies that benefit physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. To continue strengthening the organization, we’re seeking individuals who are talented, knowledgeable, motivated and agile. If these qualities resonate with you, you may be the perfect addition to our growing staff!