The Development Associate supports a wide variety of activities and administrative functions related to Americans for the Arts’ development effort. The Associate drafts correspondence, including gift acknowledgments, letters of inquiry, interim/final progress reports for funders, and stewardship pieces; maintains donor records (hard and electronic); coordinates donor benefit fulfillment; conducts prospect research and prepares donor briefings; responds to donor inquiries; and helps with small-scale event planning, execution, and follow-up. The Associate works closely with development colleagues and the database staff to ensure timely acknowledgment of all contributions and to maintain all standing development queries and mailing lists in the database. He/she also collaborates closely with the Marketing and Communications department to help maintain the development sections of the organizational website and prepare donor-specific content for social media channels and online/print publications. The Development Associate may be assigned other projects and may also represent Americans for the Arts at functions, where appropriate. Some travel and evening work may be required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare gift processing paperwork; draft acknowledgement letters and other related correspondence; and coordinate gift receipting.
• Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor hard files.
• Update and maintain development database records, inputting contact reports, management-related notes, and other information into the database
• Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation, individual, and government donors; assist with the maintenance and preparation of formal donor profiles; and when assigned, prepare development briefs in advance of meetings
• Help to coordinate production and mailing of annual appeals and stewardship correspondence associated with two annual gala fundraisers as well as the Annual Fund, National Patrons Council, and Corporate Circle programs
• Coordinate donor benefit fulfillment processes for Americans for the Arts event sponsors, including donors to the Americans for the Arts Annual Convention, National Arts Marketing Project Conference, BCA 10 Gala, and the National Arts Awards (corporate)
• Maintain guest/invitation lists, gather and prepare registration materials and invitations, and other duties as assigned around fundraising events.
• Serve as a liaison to Marketing, Communications and Technology teams and help to maintain sections of the development website and preparing donor-specific content for social media channels and online/print publications.
• Assemble media and donor briefing materials/packets for events and meetings.
• Update and maintain monthly department reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree required.
• 1 to 2 years of specific development experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills plus an ability to prioritize work, handle multiple projects simultaneously, and work independently.
• Attention to detail/detail-oriented.
• Dedication to customer service and excellent relationship management skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Adobe Acrobat.
• Experience with prospect research tools such as Wealth Engine, LexisNexis, Target America, and Foundation Center Online a plus.
• Knowledge of and experience with CRM database systems; experience with NetForum a plus
• Ability to travel.
• Integrity, sense of humor, grace under pressure, and belief in and passion for Americans for the Arts’ mission and goals.