Throughout its history the International Planetarium Society has been an all-volunteer organization. We are now looking to engage an AMC to assist us as we grow and modernize the organization. We expect the duties of the AMC to increase over time.
The AMC, working under the direction of the Officers or its delegates, shall have the following overarching responsibilities:
1. Managing the day-to-day operation of the IPS including, but not limited to- o Updating the website and membership database o Coordinating and managing communication among the Officers and leadership of the IPS o Coordinating and managing communication with IPS membership including membership renewal letters and correspondence o Coordinating and managing communication between the IPS and third parties
2. Participating in strategic planning with IPS officers and Vision 2020 Initiative in- o Increasing membership through membership drives o Offering constructive criticism to new Bylaws and Standing Rules prior to their being voted upon by the Officers, Council, and/or Membership
3. Coordinating logistics and participating in monthly officers conference calls, annual officers meeting, and the annual IPS Council Meeting
4. Planning and execution of annual conferences and seminars
5. Developing the IPS financial goals including leading grant writing and fundraising
The AMC should possess a willingness and ability to work within the structure of an organization in which decisions are made by the Officers, and where there is?regular turnover in those positions. The staff of the AMC should also possess:
1. Strong management skills.
2. Experience in managing volunteer organizations?.
3. Experience working with Officers and board members of volunteer organizations.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the IPS Officers, leaders and membership.
5. Strong negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Proven leadership skills including but not limited to being strategic, communicative, collaborative, adaptable, accountable and facilitative.
7. Understanding of generally accepted accounting and financial management principles and laws including documentation and reporting.
8. Understanding of and experience in meeting management.
9. Familiarity with and ability to manage technology for an organization which seeks to be at the forefront of technology.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Limited hours per week to begin and build into full-time.
About International Planetarium Society
The International Planetarium Society is the global association of planetarium professionals. Its nearly 500 members come from 50 countries around the world. They represent schools, colleges and universities, museums, and plublic facilities of all sizes, including both fixed and portable planetariums.
The primary goal of the Society is to encourage the sharing of ideas among its members through conferences, publications, and networking. By sharing their insights and creative work, IPS members become better planetarians.
Members include directors, teachers, technicians, writers, artists, media specialists, digital artists and producers, presenters, vendors, scientists, students, sponsors and simply friends and fans of the planetarium dome and its starry sky.